UNDER 300 CALORIES AND AFFORDABLE
Eating anything under 300 calories during Thanksgiving, that isn’t plain lettuce, seems impossible. Especially at holiday gatherings where taste, not health, seems to win the day. That’s why I’ve put together two healthy snacks under 300 calories that are perfect to bring to parties. They are meatless, affordable, healthy, and easy to make. Between these two dishes, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
VEGETARIAN THAI LETTUCE WRAPS
- 1⁄4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup raw pecan halves, briefly pulsed in a food processor
Wraps and garnishes
- 1 head cabbage, individual leaves carefully removed
- Garnishes: Torn cilantro leaves and cayenne pepper optional
- For the Sauce: Mix tamari, honey, vinegar, garlic, and ginger in a bowl until well blended.
- For the Filling: Over medium heat in a saucepan, combine carrots, celery, onion, walnuts, and sauce. Bring to a boil and cover for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- When sauce has thickened, remove from heat. Prepare cabbage “bowls”, and scoop filling into each bowl. Top with cayenne pepper and cilantro to taste. Serve immediately.
This yields 6-8 modest wraps. 192 calories per serving. 2 per serving. If you need to make this recipe vegan, substitute the honey for maple syrup. Multiply ingredients for more servings. This recipe has been adapted from cookieandkate.
PAPRIKA PARSNIP FRIES
- 1 pound parsnips (about 4)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Pesto sauce for dipping (optional)
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Wash and cut parnsip into fry strips. Place fries on cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cover in olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper, paprika on them. Toss to combine.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Plate fries and add pesto or your favorite dipping sauce. Serve.
This serves 2. 1 cup per serving. 2 per serving. 237 calories. This recipe has been adapted from thewheatlesskitchen.
USEFUL KITCHEN APPLIANCES
Eating healthy on Thanksgiving can challenge even the healthiest of us. Although we can all relax a little for the festivities, it doesn’t hurt to have a few options that keep our bellies in check.