HIT PLAY ON THIS BOMB TWISTOUT VIDEO TUTORIAL
STEP BY STEP GUIDE
It’s best to begin with dry, slightly stretched out hair. Styling my hair dry allows me to see more length in the finished hairstyle.
STYLE # 1
- Detangle one small to medium sized section of hair.
- Add a generous amount of loc butter throughout the section.
- Then two strand twist in small to medium sized twists.
I like to add more butter on the very ends to keep them moisturized.
- Wrap the twists beginning on the ends and roll up to your roots.
- Repeat this process until you reach the front, middle section of hair. This is where the bangs will be.
- When you reach the front of your crown area, flat twist the hair beginning from the center of your crown, working your way to your front hairline.
- Then wrap hair in the purple (smaller) perm rods. The idea is to create the look of a true bang by creating more shrinkage.
- Let twists air dry.
Alternatively, you may apply heat or cool air to the twists using a blow dryer.
- Cover your finger tips in a light oil, and unravel the twists. This prevents frizzing. Oil examples are, coconut oil or jojoba oil.
- Hand twirl any unformed coils.
I was short on time, so I ended up having to unravel my twists before they fully dried. The ends weren’t as curly as I’d like, but I’ve had worse happen.
If this happens, blow dry your twists when you take out the perm rods.
The more you separated the twists, the more undefined volume you’ll have.
STYLE # 2
- Begin in the back and french roll hair from the nape of the neck, up into the crown.
- Use bobby pins to secure and shape the crown.
- Put on your favorite headband or scarf, and separate the crown hair from the bangs.
- Use bobby pins to shape the crown into a voluminous bun. You may also use a hair tie in combination with the bobby pins.
As you can see, from the bottom right photo below, this bun has a lot of texture.
And that completes style number two!
ABOUT MY MAKEUP
If this resonated with you, share it with your friends. Comment below and tell us, which style was your favorite? I personally love how the free-form twistout turned out.
Check my Youtube natural hairstyles playlist for more tutorials. I’ve also got a youtube tab here on the navigation bar at the top of this page where you can see all of my videos that upload every thursday. Subscribe to my newsletter, so you don’t miss any of my content. See ya in your inbox soon!